On this page is a summary of my relevant academic experience. Please visit my LinkedIn (see sidebar) for my full profile.
- MEng in Computing and Electronics, Heriot-Watt University, 2018 (Distinction)
- MScR in Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Heriot-Watt University / University of Edinburgh, 2019 (Distinction)
- PhD in Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Heriot-Watt University / University of Edinburgh, 2019 - Present
R. Smith, "Adaptivity as a Service (AaaS): Enabling Deep Personalisation for a Heterogeneous Ambient Assisted Living Landscape", presented at the Workshop on Behavioral Patterns and Interaction Modelling for Personalized Human-Robot Interaction at HRI `20, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1145/3371382.3374846.
R. Smith, "Human-in-the-Loop Adaptation and Reuse of Robot Assistance Policies for Ambient Assisted Living", in UKRAS ’20 Conference: “Robots into the real world”, Apr. 2020, pp. 24-26.
R. Smith, Y. Ding, G. Goussetis, and M. Dragone, "A COTS (UHF) RFID Floor for Device-Free Ambient Assisted Living Monitoring". In Ambient Intelligence - Software and Applications. ISAmI 2020. Advanced in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol. 1239. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-58356-9_13.
R. Smith, "Adaptivity as a Service (AaaS): Personalised Assistive Robotics for Ambient Assisted Living". In Ambient Intelligence – Software and Applications. ISAmI 2020. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol 1239. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-58356-9_23.
A. Colle, R. Smith, S. MacLeod, and M. Dragone, "Co-Design of Assistive Robotics with Additive Manufacturing and Cyber-Physical Modularity to Improve Trust". arXiv preprint arXiv:2108.01067 (2021).
R. Smith and M. Dragone, "A Dialogue-Based Interface for Active Learning of Activities of Daily Living". In 27th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI 22), March 22-25, 2022. Helsinki, Finland. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 12 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3490099.3511130.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant
- Sensors, Actuators and Internet of Things (2018 - 2022)
- Embedded Software (2020 - 2022)
- Praxis Programming (2020)
- June 2020 - Present: Robobrico Ltd. - Co-Founder, Software Lead
- Co-founder of modular Autonomous Mobile Robotics (AMRs) company with Alexandre Colle and Scott MacLeod
- June - August 2022: Heriot-Watt University - Research Assistant
- Collaboration between Heriot-Watt University and OXLABS Ltd
- Funded by Interface Scottish Inward Investment Catalyst Fund (Project No. SFC120080)
- August - September 2020: Heriot-Watt University - Research Assistant
- EPSRC Impact Accelerator For Open Ambient Assisted Living (OpenAAL)
- June - December 2017: Leonardo S.p.A. - Industrial Placement Hardware Engineer
- Duties included: digital logic implementation, state machines, FPGA design for radar applications